Creative Writing Workshops with Guest Authors
Opportunities to Share and Publish Creative Writing
Recognition of Outstanding Creative Writing Teachers
The MCTE MYAF Creative Writing Showcase
The Michigan Council of Teachers of English seeks to encourage creative writers each year with the Creative Writing Showcase at the Michigan Youth Arts Festival in May. Students whose work is selected will attend the Michigan Youth Arts Festival and participate in creative writing workshops with guest authors
The Michigan Youth Arts Festival is a comprehensive arts spectacular, culminating a nine-month search for the finest artistic talent in Michigan high schools. More than 250,000 students across the state are involved in the adjudication process that results in nearly 1,000 being invited to participate in the annual three-day event, held in May.
Creative writing students will participate in workshops with a guest writer,
the award winners’ pieces will be published in a book, and selected works will also be published in the Festival program book. Selected pieces may be read at the Theatre, Creative Writing and Poetry Out Loud Showcase by their authors or by student actors.
Call for Creative Writing Submissions
The Michigan Youth Arts Festival Creative Writing Awards recognize English Language Arts Programs and showcase young writers in Grades 9-12. The Michigan Council of Teachers of English sponsors this event for students.
Teachers who are current members of the Michigan Council of Teachers of English may submit the work of any Michigan secondary student (grades 9-12), completed during the school year in the genres of poetry, fiction, drama, creative non-fiction, or graphic novel.
Students in grades 9-12 can submit original creative writing in one of the following categories:
- Short Story
- Graphic Narration
- Creative Non-Fiction
If selected, students work will be published in the Michigan Youth Arts Festival
Creative Writing Book, will be asked to participate in the Creative Writing Workshops or Interdisciplinary Workshops at the festival, and selected students will be asked to read their submissions at the Welcoming Ceremony and Creative Writing Showcase.
- Teachers should submit only the best, original writing from their classes.
- Do not submit class sets of writing assignments or student artwork.
- Students may only submit work in one genre.
- Failure to submit entries in the proper format will result in disqualification of all entries from that teacher for the current year’s competition.
- Each piece of student writing must be in a separate Word or PDF document titled with the format SURNAME_TITLE.
- At the top of each document, include the student’s full name, title of the piece, grade (9, 10, 11 or 12), school, and teacher’s full name.
- Each teacher must complete one Student Submission Roster.
- Teachers must submit all required documents via MCTE’s submission form.
- Festival invitations will be sent out in early April.
All entries and inquiries should be addressed to Abbey Lilly-Lacca, MCTE’s Youth Programs Coordinator/Michigan Youth Arts Festival Liaison at [email protected].