MCTE High School Teacher of the Year
The Michigan Council of Teachers of English Secondary Teacher of the Year Award recognizes an outstanding high-school English educator.
To be considered for the award, the ideal nominee…
- is properly certified and currently teaching ELA in a private, public, or charter secondary school (9-12) in the state of Michigan.
- is a member of MCTE and NCTE and has taught for at least 10 years.
- is a role model and an inspiration to the education community.
- demonstrates strong ability to foster excellence in ELA education.
- connects learning to student interests and to their lives beyond the classroom.
- utilizes a variety of teaching methodologies and plans innovative learning experiences to meet the needs of all students.
- demonstrates a strong commitment to creating a caring and respectful climate conducive to effective teaching and learning.
- has earned the respect and admiration of colleagues and students.
- demonstrates a thorough understanding of curriculum, including assessment and evaluation practices.
- is committed to his/her own professional development to enhance teaching excellence and provides service to the profession at the local, state, or national level through leadership, presentations, or publications.
The nominator is responsible for submitting the honoree’s resume and letters of support from at least TWO different constituencies — principal, supervisor, chairperson, peer, parent or student — about contributions in the classroom and excellent practices exhibited by the recipient.
Nominees may be recommended by colleagues from the local school district or a member of MCTE. Before submitting a nomination, please check the requirements for the award.
Recipients will be recognized at the MCTE annual fall conference. The National Council of Teachers of English will also recognize the honoree as a High School Teacher of Excellence at their annual fall conference during the secondary luncheon.
Nominate a colleague today for MCTE’s 2020 Secondary Teacher of the Year!
The MCTE introduced the Secondary English Teacher of the Year Award in 2004. Below are all past honorees.
|2018||Jessyca Mathews, Carman-Ainsworth High School|
|2017||Geryl Lobert, Chippewa Hills High School|
|2016||David Theune, Spring Lake High School|
|2015||Sandy Safford, Cheboygan High School|
|2014||Mitch Nobis, Birmingham Public Schools|
|2013||Danielle Marsh, Shepperd Public Schools|
|2012||Jared Morningstar, Saginaw Arts and Sciences Academy|
|2011||John Rutherford, W.E. Groves High School, Beverly Hills, MI|
|2010||Therese Petrongelli, Harrison High School, Harrison, MI|
|2008||Stasha Simon, Petoskey High School, Petoskey Public Schools|
|2007||Mary Cecilia Cox, Renaissance High School, Detroit, MI|
|2006||Janice Schmidt, Dearborn Public Schools, Dearborn, MI|
|2005||Nancy Orr Elliott, Ubly High School, Ubly, MI|
|2004||Ronald Iwankovitsch, Ubly High School, Ubly, MI|