Michigan Youth Arts Festival
DIJE Grants for Professional Development
Write for LAJM
Be a Part of MCTE
Your first step toward getting involved with the Michigan Council of Teachers of English is membership. If you are already a member and want to be more involved, consider some of these opportunities.
- Write for LAJM. Language Arts Journal of Michigan is MCTE’s award-winning, peer-reviewed journal. You can find the current call and information for authors on the LAJM’s Scholarworks site.
- Submit a proposal to present. MCTE’s annual conference highlights teachers learning from each other. Our call for proposals typically comes out in May for our October conference. Once the call opens, you’ll find the details on our website.
- Join MCTE’s dije committee. Our Diversity, Inclusion, Justice, and Equity committee seeks to serve all Michigan English teachers and their students in ways that privilege diversity, inclusion, justice, and equity. Learn more on our dije page.
- Apply for a PD grant from the dije committee. The dije committee accepts grant applications for teachers who design and implement their own local professional development that privileges work in dije. See our Grants page for more details.
- Attend our annual conference. The annual conference, typically held in October, is open to any educator in grades K-16. In addition to keynote sessions, attendees typically have over 40 breakout sessions to choose from throughout the day. You can find information about the conference on our Events page.
- Attend our free webinars and other virtual learning events. You can see what’s coming up on our Events page.
- Submit your students’ creative writing for the MYAF Creative Writing Showcase. Teachers who are current members of MCTE may submit the work of any Michigan secondary student (grades 9-12), completed during the school year in the genres of poetry, fiction, drama, creative non-fiction, or graphic novel. Learn more on our MYAF page.
- Apply for a position on MCTE’s Executive Committee. Check out our About page for a list of positions and current members of the Executive Committee. We post openings on our website and social media.
- Do you have an idea for an MCTE initiative not mentioned here? Contact us and we’ll do our best to support you in seeing through initiatives that engage MCTE members in improving our profession.
- Connect with us on social media. MCTE has a presence on Facebook and on Twitter. Connect with us to learn about events and chat with other professionals.
- Subscribe below to stay in touch with MCTE.
Join Us At Upcoming Events!
Saturday, February 27, 2021
Registration is now open for MCTE’s virtual conference on Saturday, February 27, 2021 from 8:30AM to 3:30PM. We’ll be inspired by keynote speaker Nic Stone and youth keynote speaker Jamarria Hall, as well as teacher-led and youth-led deep think tank sessions and fireside chats.
MCTE Webinar Series
Join Dr. Lamar Johnson of Michigan State University for a discussion on Critical Race English Education. Dr. Johnson will discuss the theoretical lineage of CREE and the need for critical race theories and pedagogies in ELA classrooms.
MYAF Creative Writing Showcase
Submit your student entries for the Michigan Youth Arts Festival by February 28, 2021.