Our Marathon Continues
MCTE Call for Proposals
Fall Conference 2023
Friday, October 13, 2023
The Kellogg Center, East Lansing, Michigan
“…Even in trying times like now, it’s like the world is in panic, but we gotta keep going. The marathon continues.”
MCTE is excited to announce our 2023 Fall Conference theme: “Our Marathon Continues: Navigating Challenges and Reaching the Finish Line.” As educators, we understand the importance of perseverance and its impact on our students’ lives. MCTE invites you to share your experiences and insights on how you are working to overcome obstacles in your teaching career to reach your goals and help your students succeed.
In keeping with our theme, we have chosen three quotes by the late rapper and community activist, Nipsey Hussle, to inspire your proposals:
- “The marathon continues.”
- “If you don’t know your full-throttle history, the whole story of how you came to where you are, it’s kind of hard to put things together.”
- “I’m about seeing long-term, seeing a vision, understanding nothing really worthwhile happens overnight, and just sticking to your script long enough to make something real happen.”
MCTE encourages you to interpret these quotes as you see fit and incorporate them into your proposals. We welcome proposals on a range of topics, including and not limited to the following:
- Innovative teaching strategies and techniques
- Classroom management and student engagement
- Anti-racist, Anti-bias pedagogy, diversity, equity, and inclusion in the classroom
- Technology in the classroom
- Writing instruction and assessment
- Literature and media studies
- Professional development and teacher leadership
- Teacher self-care, well-being, and building community
Use the button below to access the online form to submit your proposal by July 28, 2023.
To see examples of previous proposals, click here.
Proposals should be no longer than 300 words and should include the following information:
- Name, title, the contact information of the presenter(s)
- Title of the presentation
- Abstract (summary of presentation)
- Description of how the proposal relates to the conference theme and the Nipsey Hussle quote(s)
- Membership in MCTE is optional to submit a proposal.
- The deadline to request a coach to assist with your proposal is 5:00 P.M. ET on Friday, June 16, 2023. (You can select this option on the first page of the proposal form).
- The MCTE online proposal system will close at 5:00 P.M. ET on Friday, July 28, 2023.
For any other questions, please email [email protected] with Subject Heading: MCTE Fall Conference 2023.
Please submit your proposal by July 28, 2023.
Acceptance notifications will be sent out in August of 2023.
Preference will be given to timely, interactive presentations relevant to the teaching lives of Michigan’s early childhood, elementary, secondary, and university English Language Arts educators.
Equally important, Nipsey Hustle reminds us, “Even as you make progress, you need the discipline to keep from backtracking and sabotaging the success as it’s happening.” For our 2023 Convention, we hope to collectively and broadly learn how to continue this race as educators amidst the educational struggles and hurdles. The MCTE 2023 Conference will be an opportunity to receive the tools to run the best race you can and a space for you to become recharged and inspired to continue to be the best educator you can be.
MCTE looks forward to hearing from you and learning from your experiences.
MCTE President-Elect, 2023-2024